Clouds
飄忽的云
I've opened the curtain of my east window here above the computer,
拉開了房間東邊電腦上方的窗簾,
and I sit now in a holy theater before a sky-blue stage.
感覺自己仿佛身處一個神圣的劇場,天藍的舞臺展現在面前。
A little cloud above the neighbor's trees resembles Jimmy Durante's nose for a while,
有好一會兒,鄰居家樹叢上飄著一朵像杰米·杜蘭特那大鼻子形狀的云朵,
then becomes amorphous as it slips on north.
但漸漸云朵就往北飄移,大鼻子也就散了狀。
Other clouds follow, big and little and tiny on their march toward whereness.
周圍的云,大的、小的、丁點兒的都隨之往不知什么地方飄走了。
Wisps of them lead or droop because there must always be leading and drooping.
縷縷白云或前行,或散去,這最自然不過了。
The trees seem to laugh at the clouds while yet reaching for them with swaying branches.
樹梢隨風輕擺,像往上攀附云朵,也像在嘲笑云朵。
Trees must think that they are real, rooted, somebody,
樹肯定在想自己才是實實在在、穩穩扎根的重量級人物,
and that perhaps the clouds are only tickled water which sometimes blocks their sun.
而云朵只不過是積聚的水珠,只會偶爾擋住太陽的光輝。
But trees are clouds, too, of green leaves-clouds that only move a little.
其實樹也是一種云,是綠葉做的云,是不怎么動的云。
Trees grow and change and dissipate like their airborne cousins.
樹會成長、變化、老去,就跟天空的浮云一樣。
And what am I but a cloud of thoughts and feelings and aspirations?
我不也是一朵云嗎?一朵懷著種種想法、感受和抱負的云。
Don't I put out tentative mists here and there?
我不是也到處作嘗試,制造一個個霧團嗎?
Don't I occasionally appear to other people as a ridiculous shape of thoughts without my intending to?
我的那些異想天開不也常不經意地在人面前變成了一團奇形怪狀的云嗎?
Don't I drift toward the north when I feel the breezes of love and the warmth of compassion?
在感受到愛的微風和憐憫的溫暖時,我不也像一朵朝北暢快游走的浮云嗎?
If clouds are beings, and beings are clouds,
若浮云如人,人亦如浮云,
are we not all well advised to drift,
我們是否都應該飄,
to feel the wind tucking us in here
感受風的力量,
and plucking us out there?
讓我們一時扎根這里,一時又把我們拔起吹走?
Are we such rock-hard bodily lumps as we imagine?
難道我們真的就如自己想像中的那樣穩如磐石嗎?
Drift, let me. Sing to the sky, will I.
飄吧,讓我飄吧!我要向天高歌。
One in many, are we.
我們都是滄海一粟。
Let us breathe the breeze and find therein our roots in the spirit.
讓我們一起感受微風的氣息,在其中尋找我們的精神之根吧。