Chapter 5 Forest Fires
第5章 森林大火
Later that morning, four guards took Rilla to Gog's office.
那天上午發生了這些事情之后,四個衛兵把瑞拉帶到了高格的辦公室。
His face looked tired and his eyes were red.
高格一臉疲憊,眼睛紅紅的。
"Leave us," he said to the guards. Then he looked at Rilla.
“出去吧。”他吩咐衛兵。之后他轉向瑞拉:
"Tell me about Kiah. When did you first meet him? Is Zadak his friend? What do they talk about?"
“跟我說說凱。你第一次見到他是什么時候?扎達克是他的朋友嗎?他們都談些什么呢?”
Rilla looked down at the floor and said nothing.
瑞拉低頭看著地板,一言不發。
"Come on, tell me!" Gog said angrily. He waited, but Rilla said nothing.
“說呀,告訴我!”高格生氣地喊。他等待著,瑞拉仍舊什么也沒說。
"Tell me about Zadak, then. Your father and Commander Zadak were friends.
“那就說說扎達克吧。你爸爸和扎達克司令是朋友。
Now, you're talking to Zadak about the AOL. I know that. What is Zadak saying?"
現在你把人工臭氧層的事告訴了他。我知道這些。扎達克他怎么說?”
"Why? Why do you want to know about Commander Zadak?" Rilla asked.
“為什么?為什么你想知道扎達克司令的事?”瑞拉問。
"I'm asking the questions, not you," Gog said. "Did you see Zadak yesterday?"
“是我在提問,不是你,”高格說,“昨天你見到扎達克了嗎?”
"The AOL is important, not Commander Zadak," Rilla said.
“人工臭氧層才是重要的,不是扎達克司令。”瑞拉說。
Gog watched Rilla carefully. "Zadak is dead."
高格凝視著瑞拉:“扎達克死了。”
"No!" Rilla cried.
“不!”瑞拉叫了起來。
"He is dead," Gog said again.
“他死了,”高格重復了一遍,
You lost your friend, here in this building, early this morning. My guards shot him."
“你失去了你的朋友。就在這座樓里。今天清晨,我的衛兵開槍打死了他。”
Rilla's face went white. "What happened? Tell me!"
瑞拉的臉白了:“出了什么事?告訴我!”
"I'm going to tell you one thing," Gog said angrily.
“有一件事我得告訴你,”高格惱怒地說,
"I'm going to destroy Australia. I'm going to burn Zadak's new forest there.
“我要毀掉澳大利亞。我要把扎達克新栽的樹木燒毀,
You can tell all your friends!
你可以告訴你所有的朋友。
Zadak wanted to kill me, but I killed him.
扎達克想殺死我,可我殺了他。
He wanted money for rain, money for the AOL, and now he's dead.
他想為下雨的事,為人工臭氧層要錢。可現在他死了。
You can tell all those prisoners in prison 888. They wanted to stop me, but they can't now.
你可以告訴888號監獄里所有的人。他們想阻止我,可現在他們不可能了。
I'm going to Mars! Bel always wanted to go to Mars."
我要去火星。貝爾一直想去火星的。”
He began to hit the table with his hand.
他用手敲打著桌面,
"I'm going to leave this dead planet! Nobody can stop me!"
“我要離開這個死亡的星球!沒人能阻攔我!”
"You're crazy," Rilla said.
“你瘋了,”瑞拉說,
"You killed Zadak, but one day someone is going to kill you."
“你殺了扎達克,但總有一天也會有人把你殺掉的。”
Gog stood up. His face was tired and he looked ill.
高格站起身。他面色疲憊,憔悴不堪。
"Be quiet!" he said. "Guards! Take her away. Back to 888."
“住嘴!”他喊著,“衛兵!把她帶走。帶回888號監獄去。”
The guards came in and took Rilla out.
衛兵們把瑞拉帶了出去。
"What happened?" she asked them. "Commander Zadak is dead; why is Gog angry?"
“出了什么事?”她問他們,“扎達克司令死了,高格為什么那么生氣?”
The guards said nothing.
衛兵們什么也沒說。
But after they returned to the gate of 888, a guard said to Rilla, very quietly: "Bel is dead.
可是到了888號監獄門口,一個衛兵小聲告訴瑞拉:“貝爾死了。
Zadak didn't shoot Gog, but he shot Bel, before the guards shot him."
扎達克沒打著高格,可他打死了貝爾,然后衛兵才朝扎達克開的槍。”
A guard took Rilla into the prison, and soon she was with Kiah again.
一個衛兵把瑞拉帶進監獄,很快瑞拉就回到了凱身邊。
"What happened?" Kiah asked. "Tell me."
“出了什么事?”凱問,“告訴我。”
Rilla put her hands over her face and began to cry.
瑞拉捂著臉哭了起來。
"Zadak is dead," she began. "He didn't kill Gog.
“扎達克死了,”她說,“他沒能殺死高格。
He killed Bel before the guards shot him, and now Gog is going to destroy Australia."
他打死貝爾之后那些衛兵殺了他,現在高格要毀掉澳大利亞。”
Kiah sat down on the floor next to Rilla. His face was sad. "Don't cry," he said quietly.
凱在瑞拉身邊坐了下來。“別哭了。”他輕輕對瑞拉說,臉上流露出悲傷的神情。
Three or four prisoners came across the room.
三四個犯人走了過來。
"What's the matter?" they asked.
“出了什么事?”他們問。
"Zadak is dead," Kiah said. "But Bel is dead, too."
“扎達克死了,”凱說,“貝爾也死了。”
"What's going to happen next?" someone asked. But nobody answered.
“以后還會出什么事呢?”一個人問。可是沒人回答。
The next afternoon, Captain Seru's brother took Kiah and Rilla to a little room at the back of the prison.
第二天下午,塞魯船長的哥哥把凱和瑞拉帶到監獄后面的一個小房間。
They sat down, and five minutes later Captain Seru arrived. Nobody smiled.
他們坐了下來,5分鐘后,塞魯船長來了。大家都很嚴肅。
"You were right, Captain," Kiah said. "Gog sent us to prison because we told him about the holes in the AOL."
“船長,不出您所料,”凱說,“我們告訴高格人工臭氧層有洞的事,他就把我們送進了監獄。”
Seru smiled. "You were right, Kiah," she said. "Those satellite numbers were very bad.
塞魯笑了。“你說得對,凱,”她說,“那些衛星數據的確很糟糕。
I began to tell Gog, but he didn't listen to me."
我試著跟高格說,可他根本不聽我的。”
"Would you like some coffee? And some sandwiches?" Seru's brother asked.
“要點咖啡嗎?還有三明治?”塞魯的哥哥問。
"Yes,please," Seru said. "I'm hungry." she looked at Kiah and Rilla. "Things are very bad."
“好吧,要一點,”塞魯說,“我餓了。”她看著凱和瑞拉:“情況非常糟糕。”
"What's happening?" Rilla asked.
“出了什么事?”瑞拉問。
"You know about Zadak? And Bel?"
“你知道扎達克的事嗎?還有貝爾?”
"Yes. Gog told Rilla yesterday," Kiah said.
“瑞拉知道,高格昨天告訴她了。”凱說。
Seru smiled, but her eyes were not happy. "Gog talked to me this morning," she said.
塞魯笑了,可她的目光中卻沒有喜悅的神情。“高格今天早晨跟我談過了。”她說。
Her brother came in with the coffee and sandwiches and Seru began to eat.
她哥哥拿著咖啡和三明治走了進來,
"Gog wants to know about Zadak, and about you," she said.
塞魯邊吃邊說:“高格想知道關于扎達克的情況,他也想知道關于你們的情況。”她說,
"He's going to kill us all, I think, before he goes to Mars."
“我想,他要把我們大家都殺掉,然后再去火星。”
Suddenly, Rilla felt ill. "I can't eat now!"she cried.
突然,瑞拉感到很難受。“我現在吃不下去!”她喊著,
But she took some coffee and began to drink. "Let's get out of here," she said.
一邊倒了杯咖啡喝起來。“咱們出去吧,”她說,
Perhaps we can get a plane to Brazil and go to my family."
“也許我們能搭上去巴西的飛機回我家去。”
"Difficult," Seru said. "Last night fires began in the new forest in Europe, and they're moving across Europe.
“很困難,”塞魯說,“昨天夜里歐洲的新森林起了火,火勢正向整個歐洲蔓延。
The fires in Africa are burning fast. Gog began to destroy Zadak's forest in Australia yesterday."
非洲的大火越燒越猛。昨天高格開始摧毀扎達克在澳大利亞的森林。”
"Did you phone Adai?" Kiah asked.
“你給阿岱打電話了嗎?”凱問。
"Adai! You never stop talking about Adai. What can he do?" Rilla said. She felt angry.
“阿岱!你怎么老是說起他,他能干什么呢?”瑞拉非常生氣。
Seru looked at Rilla for a minute."Yes, I phoned Adai before I came here.
塞魯注視了一陣瑞拉:“是的,我來之前給阿岱打過電話。
I told him about Zadak and Bel, and about the fires. He asked about you, Kiah.
我告訴了他扎達克和貝爾的事,還有火災。他還問到你,凱。
He can't come down at Kisangani airport because Gog is there with a lot of his guards.
他不能降落在基桑加尼機場,因為高格在那兒,他還布置了許多士兵。
Ship MARS 4 is nearly ready and Gog is watching it. He wants to leave Earth tomorrow."
火星4號宇宙飛船已經基本準備就緒,高格正密切關注著它的進展。他想明天離開地球。”
"How can Adai help us?" Rilla asked. "He can't shoot all the guards here."
“阿岱怎么幫助我們呢?”瑞拉問,“他也不能把這兒所有的衛兵都打死。”
Captain Seru finished the last sandwich. "Let's leave that to Adai," she said. "We can do nothing."
塞魯船長吃完了最后一個三明治。“這個問題就留給阿岱吧,”她說,“我們什么也做不了。”
"Are you going to stay here?" Kiah asked.
“您準備呆在這兒嗎?”凱問。
"Yes," Seru answered. "Adai is coming to the prison after he arrives on Earth."
“是的,”塞魯說,“阿岱降落在地球上之后就會到這座監獄來的。”
"Oh yes?" Rilla said tiredly. "But when? Gog can kill us before Adai comes."
“噢,真的嗎?”瑞拉疲憊地說,“可是什么時候呢?阿岱來之前高格可能就把我們殺了。”
"No, he can't," Seru's brother said. "You can stay here, in this room.
“不,他不會,”塞魯的哥哥說,“你們可以呆在這兒,在這個房間里。
Gog's guards are all afraid—afraid of the fires, afraid of the people.They aren't going to look for you here. "
高格的衛兵都害怕——怕那些火災;怕那些人。他們不會到這兒來找你們的。”